Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Caudal Anterior Cingulate say WHAAAAT????

So I'm learning all of this newfangled brain anatomy now....pretty darn well if I say so myself.

Its all Latin, so that certainly helps (Mrs. Davies BE PROUD!!!), but more importantly, you sound smart when you pronounce them correctly.

ANYWAY!!
No word yet on whether I can mention my project in my blog, but I can explain some of the parts of freesurfer I'm using to do it. I'm taking the gray matter volumes between groups of cases (Schizophrenics and Normal Controls) and am comparing their total volumes to see if there are any SIGNIFICANT (huge key word for all you stats students) differences....which I believe I already mentioned. WHAT I HAVEN'T MENTIONED, is that I'm generating these measurements and calculations by taking thousands of data values at a time. I kid you not, THOUSANDS!!!

Tomorrow is also Doughnut day at my lab....I started that. I hate Thursdays with a passion, so I like to bring in doughnuts for everyone on Thursdays....It also helps with my rep....I think...

So Midterms are next week in Psych. Today we learned about Memory, how it works and where its stored. We already beat Brain anatomy to death, but ITS AWESOME because it meshed EXACTLY with what I'm doing at the PNL. I can walk in and completely understand what regions do what, and what working memory is and how it correlates with schizophrenia. I think it impressed my PI too. If any of you future SFS kids get this internship, I HIGHLY reccomend taking Intro to Psych. Its an awesome class, with an awesome professor, and you learn quite a bit in the process.

Thats all thats on my mind for right now....I'll start uploading pictures to keep it interesting, don't worry. I promise at least one blog post thats 90% pictures, and 10% Crazy (aka text written by me.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm following your blog now. Just to let you know. =) It's Jenna, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom: Go Sam!! Great job you should be so proud! Doughnut day sounds like fun, I think they will miss you when you leave. I , myself, would work twice as hard for a doughnut... However, Wilford Brimley is crcrying.
    and regarding our debate over "normal" controls versus controls or nonschizophrenics ...Who can I call????!!!

    Your blogging is so much fun to read!
    Stay strong xxxooo




    And introducing:this week in audreyyy
    Audrey: Im going to totally disregard your blog and talk about me cuz your head is big enough for all the children in third-world countries.
    in my opinion i believe that doctors and teachers prefer muffins to doughnuts. The high school admissions people in whole really LIKE muffins.
    Also i believe you have an exclamation disorder. your always REALLY EXCITED!!!
    yuppp. im recording tommorrow. mhmm hmm me and my ensemble gonna record us some tracks tomorrow.and i just made the best short bread cookies all of existance has ever seen.
    OH. ya know how me and mom are taking a kickboxing class? well we are and when the instructor lady told us to switch sides we moved AROUND the kickboxing bag. she meant switch left to right hands. oohh us.in another instance she said switch and mom moved to a DIFFERENT bag. yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We won't write again Sam, just wanted to let you know about your new following...

    ReplyDelete